Saturday, August 11, 2007

Starcraft!!




That's right, Starcraft isn't just for nerds over here! It's actually a legitimate activity. The permeation of this game is visible everywhere. From the two game channels on TV to posters advertising upcoming matches, one can not deny that Korea is all about the games.


In Korea, men are required to serve two years in the military. Starcraft has become the pass time of choice for these military men. So much so that there are military Starcraft teams, much like organizational team sports. The military has generally not approved of this Starcraft culture, but the tides on that are changing. As of July, the Navy has announced its very own pro-Starcraft team. The Army is expected to follow suit in the near future. Usually men choose to serve their term before going to college so Starcraft has been introduced and well received by college students. Some even attempt to go pro.

When I heard that being a professional Starcraft gamer was a real career path, I was surprised. I'm so used to that job being a dream, but here, it is a reality...if you're good enough (so get practicing)! The best place to practice is a PC ban. This is a room filled with very nice computers and even better monitors of course. Each PC ban has different rates, but you can expect to spend about $0.80 per hour. Students frequent this place everyday after school and spend hours there, usually sustaining through the early morning hours. I've only gone once and I didn't stay long. I thought they might kick me out if I just checked my email and took care of a paper or two. :)

The most popular gamer is Lim Yo-Hwan. He's 27 years old and currently serving his military term. He's regarded as a celebrity here. His fan club consists of over 600,000 people. He even requires body guards due to the massive amount of fans he attracts!

If any of this sounds good to you, Korea is the place to be. With PC bans as common as Mc Donald's, Pro-gamers as celebrities, Pro Starcraft teams and televised game play, Korea really is a gamer's paradise.

1 comment:

Myself said...

Hey! Nice blog! I was just wondering: with what Korean company are you doing your internship? I'd seriously appreciate if you could get back to me, THANKS!