Thursday, August 2, 2007

Food







While I've been in Korea, I've tried many new foods. The most exotic being the new types of sea food. Some interesting foods in this category include sea cucumber, snail, dried and seasoned anchovies, and a type of processed fish that look like noodles. There are plenty of unique dishes here for the person who is prone to accepting challenges.

I should mention that I am a huge fan of sweets which are very difficult to find here. None of the desserts are as sweet as I'm used to. The imitation snickers aren't very sweet nor are the cakes. Most of the dishes are spicy. I am not very good at eating spicy food, but I am getting used to it (very slowly). In restaurants, many side dishes are served free of extra charge. Kimchi, white rice, small omelete-like dish, anchovies and spiced vegetables are the most common. Not only are they free, but they include free refills! Water is also included with the meal and is on a self serve basis.

When going to a restaurant, one simply walks in and sits down at a table. To order, you must gain the attention of the server; usually buy calling him/her. The service is generally very fast and the price of food is cheap. A meal will cost only about $3-5 US dollars. When you finish eating, you just walk up to the server and give him/her the money. It's a very simple system. Most restaurants operate this way. This is because most restaurants are very small. There are many that are run by one family, so the capacity is small, but the service and the food are great.

The other style of restaurant which is quite popular is more traditional. Here you must take your shoes off at the door and you are given seat mats to sit on the floor. Usually in this type of establishment, the meat is served on a large plate raw. In the center of the table is a small grill. It is up to the guests to cook the meat as they please for the entire table. With the meat, white rice, soup, lettuce leaves, garlic and onion are served along with a sauce. After the meat is cooked and cut, you wrap it up with your choice of sides in a lettuce leaf. This is one of my favorite meals.

Some of the most popular dishes among tourists and my friends and I include: bulgogi (steamed beef), kimbab (rice rolls) and bibimbab (mixed rice).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, I miss the Korean food! My name is Nathan Hendrix, by the way. Last year I was an English teacher in Korea, and I've been traveling the past few months. Anyway, I was an international business too, and am trying to find business internships in Korea. I know this is a long shot, but I'd really appreciate if you had any suggestions! My email is nathanhendrix@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!

Nathan